Friday, June 12, 2009

Scavenger Hunt

Who said it couldn't be fun to declutter? I am going to send you on a scavenger hunt! I found this on a site, long ago when I first started decluttering our home (about 3 years ago) and it made it fun for Kiley and I to do together. Do it with your husband, or your kids. Make a game of it see who can get more of the items. You can even do it on your own and time yourself. Whatever you find and get are able to trow away for recycle you will have that much LESS junk in your home.
I want everyone who does this to leave me a comment here and tell me how many things you were able to get rid of... I think my family may just do it too!

Are you ready for the list?
1. Old Sunscreen (did you know it actually looses it's ability to work, so your not even protecting yourself or your babies!)
2. Old Crayons (if you really don't want to waste them, put them all together in a box and use them for a melting craft)
3. Out of date medications (I watched a show on Oprah about these, they either don't work at all or they could even hurt you, toss them! Check with your local pharmacy to see the best way to dispose of them for the environment)
4. Dried up pens.
5. Old toothbrushes (you should replace yours every 3 months)
6. Dried up markers
7. Odd socks
8. Old pantyhose
9. Laundry Soap Bottles (recycle)
10.Useless toys from fast food resteraunts (We try not to get kids meals @ all, but if you have to take the toys and give them to non-profit organizations or schools)
11. Old sponges or rags.
12. Empty cool whip or sherbert containers, you know the type. (recycle) you don't need all of those!
13. Worn out shoes
14. Any clothing that is holey and unrepairable
15. Random twist ties (don't worry you will get another one with the next loaf of bread)
16. Sippy cups (if you don't have the lid or don't have the bottom)
17. Old paints you no longer need (Call your local hardware store & find out how to safetly get rid of these for the environment)
18. Empty cereal box in the pantry.
19. Those big plastic cups from fast food resteraunts (recycle)
20. Napkins, straws, ketchup, salt, mustard, pepper from the fast food resteraunts
21. Any address labels from a previous address
22. Dead plants
23. 27 pieces of junk mail (you got it, just look you will be surprised to find you probobly have more then that!)
24. College test books (sell them or put them on www.swaptree.com)
25. Pots or pans you hate (if they have that non-stick coating coming off that is so dangerous to your health! Google it and you will have proof it has been linked to birth defects and to cancer, don't take the chance!)
26. Empty boxes (smash them down and recycle)
27. Christmas Tree (there is a reason behind this one, two of my neighbors have their Christmas trees still laying on the side of their house! One has two... one from this year and one from last year. Yes I am serious!!)
28. Out dated food in your pantry or fridge.
29. Check your freezer, anything freezer burnt or outdated there.... toss!
30. Plastic grocery bags, gather them all up and designate them a place.
31. Computer stuff for ancient computers, that you no longer can use. (you can sell them if you look for a place to do that www.craigslist.com)
32. Old batteries
33. Burned out candles that have no life left.
34. Very old cleaning products (if you haven't used them in this long... you more then likely won't)
35. You have Easter candy still.... get rid of it, donate it to a local food pantry.
36. Find 5 things that are broken... dispose of them.
37. Empty shampoo/conditioner/body wash bottles (recycle)
38. Dried up pieces of soap...well it was a bar of soap at one time.
39. Old Calendars
40. Any tupperware or storage containers you don't have the lids to (recycle)
41. Old make up check out these guidelines: http://cosmetics.suite101.com/article.cfm/makeup_shelf_life
42. Kitchen gadgets you hate!
43. Coffee mug you hate!
44. Cookbooks you hate!
45. Old eyeglasses (ask your eye doctor if they take them, they usually will give them to vetrans)
46. Old lotions
47. CD cases with no cds.
48. Old books (www.swaptree.com)
49. One piece of clothing you no longer fit into.
50. You pick one random item... and I want to know what it was!

Hope to hear from lots of you econo-mommies.

-Kristen

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen! I worked on this this morning and am happy with the results so far! The following is what I was able to get rid of:

    Dried up pens
    Old Toothbrushes
    Dried up markers
    Laundry Soap Bottles
    Address labels from a previous address
    junk mail (not quite 27 pieces)
    empty boxes
    outdated bagels
    old candles
    empty shampoo/condition/body wash bottles
    old eyeglasses
    old lotions
    old books (too damaged for swaptree)
    baby wipe containers
    empty deodorant stick

    I was able to get rid of this box that was sitting on my table in my bathroom. It was FULL of stuff that went in the trash and now I no longer have the box sitting there. Most of what I kept I was looking for and I put in the vanity!!

    I am going to keep this list and work on it probably through the next week just to be sure I have gotten rid of everything on this list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is funny I always forget about our bagels to and then they become "duck food". Keep me posted on your progress. You are doing awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok well we are going to be working on this list today so i will let you know what we have gotten done!! i need a printer i want to print this list so bad LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. :0) I just minimized it on my screen and then ran back and forth. Kiley thought that was fun. I was amazed when we did this how much trash we had just in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny because when I was looking at the old crayons and happy meal toys on the list I chuckled because I just threw a bunch away when I was cleaning the boys room. I HATE happy meal toys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weird how did I post as my daughter?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, me too they are such a pain in the butt & never anything useful just one more thing to trip over in their rooms.

    ReplyDelete