Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cleaning out the cruiser

I have an SUV, it is a good thing too because we have lots of "stuff" hopefully after this whole declutter process we will have less "stuff". This morning the kids and I were in a funk, so I told them we were going to clean out the car, and whoever helped would receive a reward. This made the job so much easier. I literally opened each door, the back and the glove compartments and I just went through everything in there. As I pulled stuff out I just told each kid where to put it, to be delt with later.... now, had these things been going in rooms I had already decluttered I would have been more specific (put this in my middle drawer versus lay this on my bed). We had it done in less then 20 minutes and I didn't clean the car, I just took everything out.

Some helpful tips I do:
I keep dum-dums in the center counsel so if my two year old gets fussy, I have a snack right there to hold him over. I keep tissues in the car and wipes may sound odd but you never know when you will have a snotty nose or a blow out diaper and imagine that you forgot the diaper bag. It's happened to us! I also keep a card game in the glove compartment for theose every lasting long drives, it is like a seek and find game. I also keep those Hi-C powders you dump in a bottle of water. You can dump them in a bottle of water, and most kids will drink it with out complaining. We also have a Ziplock bag filled with first aid stuff, and all the important papers for the car are in there too, organized of course. I also keep my insurance card (one copy) there in case I don't have my wallet for some unknown reason, again...it's happened to me! Lastly we have another grove compartment (hard to explain) but in there I keep our maps and also any coupons that would be used while we are out and about (Wendy's, free pretzel, shoes, restraunts, ect...) because before that, it would never fail we would be out and about be at the mall have a coupon for a free pretzel but it was at home of course... and then we would buy one. Wasted money.... :) I keep all of my reusable shopping bags in the tail end of the SUV, they are always there then when I need them.

Do you have any helpful tips for in the car, I think I covered all of mine.
Let me know when you get your car decluttered!!

3 comments:

  1. Just finished! I had to take my hubby's air compressor out of the car and had to refill my water bottle and I was done. Yay! But after rereading your post I should really throw some kleenex in there!

    We keep maps/coupons/a phone book in the side door compartments. Insurance/registration/car manual/napkins/pocket knife/pen in the glove box. CDs in our overhead compartment. In the back I keep an umbrella stroller/baby sling/extra diapers and wipes/first aid stuff/ice scraper/blanket/Church bag with toys and snacks in it. Plus I always have a bottle of water in mu cup holder and a sippy cup of water in my son's cup holder + 1 or 2 toys. If it's not on that list I throw it out or move it into the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I am not the only mom who carries the house with me in the car.
    You crack me up! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep a snack bag in the back of the car. It is an insulated diaper bag hospial freebie. I keep non-perishable snacks from the $ stores (animal crackers, pretzels) and some Kool Aid add in packets, napkins and paper plates (party leftovers). I also have an emergency bag for my toddler that fits under her seat. I keep a diaper (usually the free sample ones) a onesie, socks and sample packs of wipes or the disposable washcloths. I also have a First Aid kit that fits under the seat as will in a plastic shoes box. Also under the back seats are some travel games that I have picked up over the years.

    ReplyDelete